POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) : Re: Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:42:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Oct 2019 02:34:52
Message: <5daff48c$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22/10/2019 om 11:20 schreef William F Pokorny:
> An attempt a semi-arid ground cover using three isosurfaces and
> turbulence enabled via the raw_wave keyword discussed in this thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5daec47c%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

this goes way beyond my understanding but I appreciate the work
undertaken here.

> Not sure how good it looks, but it's relatively quick to create. A
> 1200x750 with AA render took 16 minutes on my two core i3. Posting
> smaller jpg as the detail makes for large image files.

One could interpret it both as a landscape, or as a rugged texture for a
rocky surface I guess. Interesting stuff.

> The trick is one I've posted before. It uses violent turbulence along
> with purposely setting the isosurface gradient relatively low to get
> fuzzy - even cloud-ish like 'stuff.' The isosurface gradient becomes a
> knob for controlling the fuzzy 'density.' No AA much faster, but it's
> the AA that makes hard and fuzzy; soft and fuzzy. ;-)
>
> Previously method based on my df3 patch as I didn't have 'raw_wave', but
> for this one the base shape just a thin z plane sheet. Oh yeah, not all
> that apparent, but the sheet also displaced with the fixed radial
> pattern using a sine_wave modifier - the ground isn't flat.

This calls for getting dirty hands! ;-)

Code available?

--
Thomas