POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) : Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave)
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 22 Oct 2019 05:20:52
Message: <5daec9f4$1@news.povray.org>
An attempt a semi-arid ground cover using three isosurfaces and
turbulence enabled via the raw_wave keyword discussed in this thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5daec47c%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Not sure how good it looks, but it's relatively quick to create. A
1200x750 with AA render took 16 minutes on my two core i3. Posting
smaller jpg as the detail makes for large image files.

The trick is one I've posted before. It uses violent turbulence along
with purposely setting the isosurface gradient relatively low to get
fuzzy - even cloud-ish like 'stuff.' The isosurface gradient becomes a
knob for controlling the fuzzy 'density.' No AA much faster, but it's
the AA that makes hard and fuzzy; soft and fuzzy. ;-)

Previously method based on my df3 patch as I didn't have 'raw_wave', but
for this one the base shape just a thin z plane sheet. Oh yeah, not all
that apparent, but the sheet also displaced with the fixed radial
pattern using a sine_wave modifier - the ground isn't flat.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'groundcovertest.jpg' (176 KB)