POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Blue and Gold : The Blue and Gold Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:42:25 EDT (-0400)
  The Blue and Gold
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 9 Oct 2019 20:55:33
Message: <5d9e8185@news.povray.org>
This is a tribute to my high school alma mater, Charlotte Amalie High
School in the Virgin Islands.

This was a 3-pass render:

   1. A photons pass with no trees on the hills.  For some reason, the
      shooting of photons stalls when the trees are included, though I
      cannot see how the trees would interfere with the process.  It is
      only a small section of the checkered plane that receives
      photons.  ("Either be patient or do not shoot photons at infinite
      objects." --Reference Manual)

      Photon mapping was also faulty with the scene as-is, but when I
      inserted a patio into the scene, the photons were perfect.  I
      couldn't figure out why that is.  The patio was removed for the
      final render.

   2. A radiosity pass with no trees on the hills (they take a long
      time to parse) and no rounded edges on the monogram.

   3. The final pass with trees, the previously saved photons, and the
      previously saved radiosity.

"Chicken hawk" here refers to the red-tailed hawk, /Buteo jamaicensis/,
which is often seen here in the Caribbean.  I could tell immediately
that one of my coworkers went to the same high school when she thought
the bird on the VI flag was a chicken hawk.  It is actually an
oddly-colored bald eagle, as it is immediately obvious at a glance that
our flag was bequeathed to us by the colonizer:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_the_United_States_Virgin_Islands.svg

If people are interested, I will post the code for the rounded edges in
p.t.scene-files.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cahs-co.jpg' (186 KB)