POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Bug in 3.7.0unofficial ? : Re: Bug in 3.7.0unofficial ? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in 3.7.0unofficial ?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Sep 2019 10:08:32
Message: <5d8cc660$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/25/19 8:18 PM, Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Recently, I started generation "color profiles" from ripped DVDs, using
> the following script:

> Or is my RAM about to disintegrate?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

I suspect your running out of memory though looking at your code not
jumping at me out why. Maybe a memory leak unless someone picks up
something I missed. Looks like you are loading a large number of single
pixel images? I'd hope these freed on redef, but maybe they aren't or
something. Don't know.

Are you able to run a linux command like top in an xterm - or a fancier
system monitor as your job runs? A command line like time (on Ubuntu at
/usr/bin/time) which can be used like:

/usr/bin/time povray the.pov

or

/usr/bing/time --verbose -- povray the.pov

which kick out a max resident memory value in the former and more
information in the later case. Are you using a large amount of memory
even when your script completes OK?

There have been memory related updates/fixes to v3.8 master if your able
to try that.

If you are able to run it sometimes, does it run when you have fewer
frames or some other specific conditions. Might give a clue.

If not able to isolate better yourself a test script/scene which uses
maybe the same image over and over but still runs out of memory would be
useful in debugging I guess.

Bill P.