POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay features suggestions : Re: PovRay features suggestions Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay features suggestions
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Sep 2019 02:58:51
Message: <5d8b102b$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25/09/2019 om 02:45 schreef Bald Eagle:

> Just throwing these out there as I do periodically.

And thank you indeed for that. I believe this to be an important exercise.

I am not going to comment in detail; you have brought the points
forwards and there is certainly more. I simply want to stress the
frustration of 'disappearing' and 'lost' sites with useful #include,
#macro, and other smart information over time. It is a natural
phenomenon like evolution and it cannot be avoided, but regularly,
useful developments are lost to the community and/or have to be
re-invented several times. I do not have a specific example in mind at
present but I have noticed this to happen on a regular basis over the
past years. The closure of the 'Colefax' site is a prime example (or
Uncle Tyler's for that matter) and I dread the possible future closure
of sites like Friedrich Lohmüller's, Mike Williams', Jaime Vives
Piqueres', or Gilles Tran's, just to cite a few examples. Fortunately,
there are a couple of idiots about who 'collect' those things ;-) but at
the end of the day it is not a sustainable way of doing things POV-Ray-wise.

> [snip]
>

> Just emptying my brain onto the forum for the record.

and a good thing you did.

--
Thomas