POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Feature request: Rotation warp : Re: Feature request: Rotation warp Server Time
18 Apr 2024 17:38:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request: Rotation warp
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 15 Jul 2019 03:02:11
Message: <5d2c24f3@news.povray.org>
Le 15/07/2019 à 04:16, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> So, I was trying to puzzle out how to texture the rotated and twisted pigment
> function isosurfaces I've been working on, and it became clear that there's no
> way to continually rotate a pigment pattern around an axis as a function of that
> abscissa.
>
> To my knowledge there is currently no way to do this to a pigment.
>
> Attached is a simple illustration of a cylinder textured with such a warped
> pigment (hexagon).
>
> This was done by taking intersections of the cylinder and thin discs, that were
> textured with a progressively rotated version of the pigment and stacked.

Looks a lot like attached picture, but for texture instead of shape.

Is there a need for deep control or can a simpler version be enough ?

1. can origin of the axis always be <0,0,0> ?
Or should it be customisable ?

2. can the direction of the axis be specified ?
Or should it always something like +z ?

3. can the handedness of the rotation be always the same ?
Or should it be customisable ?

4. can the distance between two complete rotations be always the same ?
Or should it be customisable ?

5. should the rotation always occurs ?
Or should it occurs only for a bounded range along the axis ?

6. should the rotation be of constant speed along the axis ?
Or should it use something like *dist_exp* from
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Warp#Mapping_using_warps
with something else than 1 as its value ?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'leforgeronscrew.png' (108 KB)

Preview of image 'leforgeronscrew.png'