POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Realistic Wood textures : Re: Realistic Wood textures Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:53:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic Wood textures
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Jul 2019 02:48:50
Message: <5d1da152$1@news.povray.org>
On 3-7-2019 15:13, pascal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried in vain to achieve in povray some kind of realistic wooden floor
> such as described here in Blender :
>
> https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/photorealistic-wood
>
> I don't even know if it's possible in povray because I don't remember
> seeing scenes like these. (Even if it's possible to translate such part
> of a scene in the povray language from Blender).
>
> I tried many things with textures (layered, groups etc) but it seems I
> don't improve significantly my wood.
>
> Any clue ?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Pascal

Like Alain, mentioned: those wooden floors are map-based, and using
appropriate maps you can certainly achieve similar floors.

Another way to go is by using isosurfaces. An excellent example of this
was developed by Christoph Hormann:
http://www.imagico.de/pov/wood_seq_en.php

Also in the past, a couple of macros were developed, one by Dan
Hentschel, and one by myself. They are fairly correct both but not as
spectacular as map-based floors. If you are interested, I can post them
here.

--
Thomas