POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Different result between partial rendering and normal rendering ? : Re: Different result between partial rendering and normal rendering ? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different result between partial rendering and normal rendering ?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Jun 2019 20:10:25
Message: <5d097d71$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/18/19 10:31 AM, BayashiPascal wrote:
> Hi,
> Many thanks to everyone for taking time to reply/investigate.

>> William F Pokorny
> Thank you very much for your time. Yes, it's weird. If the difference is never
> more than 1/255, that's surely not a big deal. But if the cause is unknown it
> leaves the possibility for a greater difference under different circumstances.
> My opinion is, partial rendering are probably not the common use case and I
> would believe in the smallest difference anyway unless shown the contrary. If I
> had to debug it myself I would give it a very low priority. Personally,
> disabling jitter to make my unit test run fine in my project is perfectly ok to
> me, so it's up to you.

> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> On 6/17/19 11:08 AM, BayashiPascal wrote:
>>
>> The image attached used the new to v3.8 +am3 mode. In the top row two
>> different full renders are compared and they match exactly. In the
>> bottom we compare the top left full to an image assembled by chunks. The
>> multiplier on the differences is 4x. Looks like +am3 better brings out
>> whatever the issue is.
>>
>> Still, not sure I'll open up an issue. Something like this is going to
>> be way down on anyone's to-do list. Opinions?

I think I'll open up a github issue. I was seeing differences with
jitter off and the +am3 differences peaked at 80/255 per color channel
though usually smaller. Further, I remembered we already have bugs and
feature issues open related to +sc, +ec, +sr +er control in:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/312

and

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/279

This issue should be at least considered when someone gets to looking at
either of those.

Bill P.