POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inverse sphere? : Re: Inverse sphere? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inverse sphere?
From: Alain
Date: 30 May 2019 11:34:18
Message: <5ceff7fa$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-05-28 à 14:52, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> This tutorial about radiosity:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_radiosity#Step_5:_Find_Your_Error_Bound
>

> says:
>
>  > Sometimes radiosity can cause artifacts, one of the most common
> causes of artifacts is infinite radiosity rays. A good rule is to place
> any radiosity scene inside a large inverse sphere to avoid any ray
> colliding with the background or sky_sphere.
>
> What is an inverse sphere? And how is it useful/beneficial in this
> situation? Thanks.
>

> Michael

It can be a sphere with the «inverse» attribute, or a sphere with the
hollow attribute.

The use of inverse or hollow is to allow the use of fog and media.

In my experience, I have never encountered any case where infinite rays
have caused any artifacts.

My guess is it's a leftover from the early radiosity implementation that
still had a max_distance setting that imposed a cutoff distance when
testing for radiosity samples.