POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Finding and extracting GDAL elevation data : Re: Finding and extracting GDAL elevation data Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finding and extracting GDAL elevation data
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 May 2019 02:46:23
Message: <5ce0fbbf@news.povray.org>
On 19-5-2019 3:20, Bald Eagle wrote:

> I've found a pretty convenient tool for getting heightfield elevation maps
> directly.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd2dqe3v7nU
>
> https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper
>
> Now I just need to figure out a way to make the heightfield, the satellite
> image, and the street map align and be scaled properly.
>

> I also have "holes" in my heightfield when I try to texture it with an image
> map.  They appear to be at places that are over a certain elevation.   Does that
> ever happen?   CAN it ever happen?  I'd expect an image to be rgb in the range
> of 0-1.

My intuitive answer to 'Does that ever happen' would be an emphatic
"No". However... I am no fan of Sketchup and thus do not know what kind
of quaint things may happen.

> Is there a mechanism in POV-Ray to scale the rgb range of a heightfield image to
> the proper range?

Imo, by putting the image_map-containing texture /before/ any scaling of
the height_field; but you certainly know that already.

--
Thomas