POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having a try at light distributions : Re: Having a try at light distributions Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:57:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having a try at light distributions
From: Alain
Date: 15 May 2019 15:35:52
Message: <5cdc6a18$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-05-15 à 10:11, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> On 5/13/19 1:56 PM, Norbert Kern wrote:
>> "Jasper" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>
>> OK, this doesn't have anything to do with radiosity - so I agree on
>> floating
>> point precision issues as cause...
>>
>> Norbert
>>

> Is this still true for you with recent v38 releases?
>
> I'd captured the case(s) you posted a couple years back - my notes say
> in 2016. I wasn't able to run what you posted directly on my little
> machine, but a cut down scene was fixed when I tested a v3.71 branch
> March 17, of 2017.
>
> Bill P.

The version don't matter when you hit the FPU's limits.
Don't forget that in computing the illumination, there are a few
squaring and square roots involved. This typically demand twice the
number of bits of the input value if you want to avoid loss of precision.
When you square a 64 bits floating point value, you need 128 bits to
accurately represent the result.