POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : State of Povray 3.8.0 (?) : Re: State of Povray 3.8.0 (?) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:51:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: State of Povray 3.8.0 (?)
From: Hj  Malthaner
Date: 10 May 2019 17:53:30
Message: <5cd5f2da$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/10/19 4:13 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 05.05.2019 um 21:23 schrieb Hj. Malthaner:
>
>> There is a branch called release/v3.8.0
>> I've downloaded and compiled a version from it. Worked fine

> The `release/v3.8.0` branch was the branch where preparation of the
> v3.8.0 release was happening, while changes slated for a later version
> was carried out in the master branch - until it was decided that v3.8.0
> still needed more work than expected, and that it would be too much work
> to maintain two branches for a prolonged time.
>
> At that point, `release/v3.8.0` was merged into the master branch, and
> development of v3.8.0 is continuing there.
>

> POV-Ray v3.8.0 has not been released *yet*, but (in contrast to v3.7.1)
> there is no intention to ditch it, and development continues.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I indeed was first looking for a
3.7.1 release candidate and was a bit confused for not finding any, but
the branch named release/3.8.0

The version looks good to me though. It fixed at least one fatal problem
which I had with one scene, and I can confirm, it performs about as well
as 3.7.0, if there is a difference it is so small that I did not notice.

At the moment I'm happy with the version from the branch, but if there
should show some problem I'll switch to the master branch as advised.

At the moment I'm using Linux, so I'll compile from the sources. Thanks
again!

--
Some of my PovRay works:
https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D