POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : How does cylindrical warp work? : Re: How does cylindrical warp work? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How does cylindrical warp work?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 4 May 2019 14:33:36
Message: <5ccddb00@news.povray.org>
On 2019-05-04 12:49 AM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> OK, so it turns out I don't understand cylindrical warp after all.
>
> [snip]
>
> True to the docs, orientation z matches the default, not orientation y.
> And somehow, orientation z corresponds to a cylinder with axis y.  I do
> not understand why this is; and more importantly, I have no clue how to
> get a cylindrical warp to match a cylinder of arbitrary orientation. How
> does it work?
>
> Also, I am bemused by the cylinder illustration, which somehow works
> with a vertical cylinder and orientation y, and I am befuddled the
> spiral at the top; but since the example uses a non-default dist_exp
> (whose explanation soars way above my head), I don't know if it's relevant.

I rendered some permutations of the example in the reference manual, and
two things are clear.  Most obviously, I should leave dist_exp alone.
The other is that all orientations work with a vertical cylinder.
Extrapolating, it looks to me that the cylindrical warp always assumes a
vertical structure, and that I should start with that assumption in
defining the texture, then reorient it to match the object.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cylindrical_warp_ref.jpg' (478 KB)

Preview of image 'cylindrical_warp_ref.jpg'
cylindrical_warp_ref.jpg