POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : color_maps : back to basics : Re: color_maps : back to basics Server Time
23 Apr 2024 15:47:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color_maps : back to basics
From: Alain
Date: 13 Apr 2019 14:15:02
Message: <5cb22726$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-04-12 à 23:23, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> "Leroy" <whe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>>   So before I rewrite Maker I'd like some input as to how to go about it.
>>
>> Color map Maker is at http://leroyw.byethost15.com/SubPages/Win_Programs.html
>>
>> I really need to KISS(keep it simple stupid).
>>
>> Thanks for any input!
>
> Hi Leroy - good to see you've still got some time and motivation to revisit old
> projects and get back into them with new inspiration!  :)
>
> I haven't had a chance to play with the program(s), but I'm assuming that you
> use sliders, etc to create a color_map to paste into a POV scene file.
>
> That's great, but usually those color_maps are used in a pattern, and that's
> what's always been less than intuitive and hard to visualize (for me).
> I'm not sure the regions of certain patterns are always represented evenly /
> equally / linearly  --- so maybe the values near 0 and 1 dominate the pattern,
> or the value near 0.5 does.
>
> I think in addition to solely the color_map, a pattern visualizer would be
> useful so that you could apply the color_map to a pattern and adjust it with
> feedback in real time.   That would be a HUGE step forward in developing
> textures.
>
> It's where I was aiming at with this little project:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C5acf08bc%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Patterns like bumps/bozo/spotted, leopar, granite, wave/ripples and
agate seems to use a sin like distribution.

Patterns like gradient, onion, radial, boxed, spherical, planar,
cylindrical and spherical use a ramp, or linear, distribution.

wood use a triangular distribution.

You can always use a different wave type if you want.

When you just want to view some colour_map, it's bettrer to stick to the
linear ones.