POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Visualization of a sand grain : Re: Visualization of a sand grain Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:40:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visualization of a sand grain
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Apr 2019 03:00:27
Message: <5ca1b70b$1@news.povray.org>
On 1-4-2019 8:22, Wallace wrote:
> Hi folks, I am new to the software and this community. I am a year 4 civil
> engineering student. To finish my final year project, I am required to learn
> this software. I use Pack3D in matlab to generate some particles with a lot of
> xyz coordiantes as well as radius from central point. I wonder how could I use
> Povray visualize a single particle with lots of x-y-z coordinate. I cant find
> the correct coding for my visualization. Hope can find some help here. Thank
> you!

Welcome! Interesting to learn that POV-Ray is part of your curriculum.

If, as I deduce from the title, you have modelled grains of sands with
many facets, I guess the best you can do is:

1- export the model(s) as e.g. .obj files;

2- load the .obj models in a conversion program like Poseray
[https://sites.google.com/view/poseray] and export to POV-Ray as mesh2
files;

3- Build a scene in POV-Ray in which you can import the mesh2 models of
the sand grain(s). As a start, the basic POV-Ray scene can be used.

Hope this helps. Feel free to yell if things are unclear. We are here a
(mostly) comprehending and patient community ;-)

--
Thomas