POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 : Re: Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:57:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 22 Mar 2019 14:59:06
Message: <5c95307a$1@news.povray.org>
On 2019-03-22 2:43 PM (-4), Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 22/03/2019 à 18:09, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
>> On 2019-03-22 12:45 PM (-4), Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>
>>> As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
>>> valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
>>> hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
>>> does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
>>> disconnect, reconnect.
>>
>> What would be the name of this file?
>
> Have a look there:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37157097/how-does-x11-authorization-works-mit-magic-cookie

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37157097/how-does-x11-authorization-works-mit-magic-cookie

As it turns out, this is one of the pages I found during my searches.
It is way over my head, and I don't know how I can use this info to fix
the damn problem.

> For my system:
> - cookie file is ~/.Xauthority
> - it was created at the day and hour I logged in.
> - it contains a single entry for my display.
>
> jerome@krynn:~$ xauth list
> krynn/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  c81a816f0a1c24bcc3dce3aed7d8c746
> jerome@krynn:~$ ls -l .Xauthority
> -rw------- 1 jerome jerome 50 mars  22 17:16 .Xauthority
> jerome@krynn:~$

I get the same thing on my system.