POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Locking for a solution to create backlight functionality : Re: Locking for a solution to create backlight functionality Server Time
23 Apr 2024 05:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Locking for a solution to create backlight functionality
From: Alain
Date: 19 Mar 2019 16:52:38
Message: <5c915696$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-03-18 à 19:06, povray a écrit :
> Hi Folks,
> I#m new to this forum. Hi everybody!
>
> As the subject already tells I'm searching for a solution to design for example
> a screen of a mobile phone, where I can use a PNG file as a screenshot that
> should be iluminated like on a real backlighted screen of a mobile.
>
> Therefore I found two solution, but non of them I'm glad with.
>

> //--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Second atempt:
> I was using the same box but I added interior defintion to act like a light
>
>    interior {
>      media {
>        emission color rgb<1.0,1.0,1.0>*1.75
>      }
>    }
>

> But I'm also not successfull with this solution.
> - The box ist not iluminated consistent
> - As the box goes thin like a film the ilumination reduces to zero
>
> //--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> What else could I do to achiv a screen with backlight?

When using media, when the media get thinner, it need to get
denser/brighter to compensate.

So, if you reduce the thickness by a factor of 10, you need to multiply
the colour used by 10.

   interior {
     media {
       emission rgb<1.0,1.0,1.0>*1.75 *10
     }
   }

The media must have at least some thickness.
The brightness will change according to the direction at witch it's been
seen. When viewed perpendicularly, you look through less media than at a
shallow angle.

It may be better to use a thin box or a polygon with a finish similar to :
finish{emission 1 diffuse 0}

You may use an area_light.
In this case, you'll need to add the area_illumination option to get
consistent illumination.
You'll also need to use double_illuminate as an object attribute, or the
back side illumination option in the finish :

finish{diffuse 0.1 0.9 ambient 0}