POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Just musing about a pattern function... : Re: Just musing about a pattern function... Server Time
16 Apr 2024 02:10:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just musing about a pattern function...
From: Alain
Date: 11 Mar 2019 19:07:37
Message: <5c86ea39$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-03-10 à 20:25, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> So, I was wondering if it were possible to define a pattern that depends on if
> the surface of one object is coincident with another.
>
> object A, Object B, and an overlapping surface.
>
> I was thinking about it initially from the perspective of ease-of-use in
> highlighting imperfections in CSG / math,
>
> pigment {overlap {_textureA, _textureB, _textureOverlap}}
>
> but then it occurred to me that if this were possible, then
>
> pigment {overlap {_textureA, _textureB, _textureB}}
>
> would take care of a lot of coincident surface problems.
>

> Just brainstorming and wondered if this might spark some ideas.

The main problem with coincident surfaces is that you can't reliably
tell if two surfaces are coincident or not while rendering. On one test,
the surface of object A seems to be in front of the surface of object B,
then, on the next test, it seems to be behind.

The only cases when it don't cause problem is if all surfaces are opaque
and share the same texture.