POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Pov-ray 3.8 or 3.7.1 Command Line for Macintosh : Re: Pov-ray 3.8 or 3.7.1 Command Line for Macintosh Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:04:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-ray 3.8 or 3.7.1 Command Line for Macintosh
From: clipka
Date: 19 Feb 2019 04:26:31
Message: <5c6bcbc7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.02.2019 um 07:03 schrieb Jake:
> I've been trying to install pov-ray from the command line for my Macintosh (High
> Sierra 10.13.6)

Is that "_install from_ the command line" or "install to _run from_ the
command line"?

> and have had little succes with any version other than 3.7 which
> I was able to install through homebrew. I was wondering if there will be a
> command line release of version 3.7.1 or 3.8 for Macintosh in the near future as
> I have a program called Ovito that requires either 3.7.1 or above to produce
> omni­directional stereo projection images.

POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha for Unix (which is a program designed to run from
the command line) _should_ build fine on Mac OS X using the official
Unix build process (which is also run from the command line) - this is
tested automatically whenever new changes are submitted to the official
repo.

Tests are currently run with Mac OS X 10.13.3, Apple LLVM version 9.1.0
(clang-902.0.39.2) amd XCode 9.4.1.

On the test system we do not need to install any extra packages, except
for homebrew `freetype` for the semi-experimental v3.8.0-x.freetype
versions.

I recommend you try this version (download the source code package):

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-alpha.10013324

and let us know what (if any) problems you encounter, so that we can
improve on our build process. The v3.7.0.8 homebrew formula may hold
some relevant secrets:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/povray.rb

If the problems you encounter are related to linking with the boost
libraries, there's good news: I just happen to have completed changes
that do away with this requirement. (We still need boost, but we don't
need to link to it.)

Unfortunately, the first v3.8.0-alpha development release with these
properties (v3.8.0-alpha.10064268) fails to build in certain scenarios,
but a fix for that problem is already included in the latest
v3.8.0-x.freetype release (just a few minutes old):

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-x.freetype.3

You'll need the `freetype` homebrew package for this.

Alternatively, there is Yvo's semi-official dedicated Mac version, which
comes with a GUI. But whether it can be installed and/or run from the
command-line (whatever it is you actually need) is beyond my knowledge.

Last not least, you can of course wait for the Homebrew people to
support POV-Ray v3.8.0, but I guess is that won't happen until v3.8.0 is
officially released.