POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Apparent circular pattern of scratches : Re: Apparent circular pattern of scratches Server Time
19 Apr 2024 10:38:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apparent circular pattern of scratches
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jan 2019 13:47:59
Message: <5c4b59df$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2019 um 19:29 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>
>>> This is the best I can do presently.
>
> Which is indeed very nice.  :)
>
>> Comming along nicely.
>> It still has a bit of 'leathery' quality to it, less metallic. Maybe it's
>> the size/width of the scratches that give that impression,
>>
>> ingo
>
> Yes, I would say that probably the real test would be something like a
> transparent piece of plastic or a dark plastic/glass, where there are in reality
> a lot of scratches, but optically, only a few of these are ever really visible
> at any given time - depending on the viewing angle.
>
> So, sparser, finer scratches, and perhaps an animation where the object is
> rotated a bit to see how a changing incident light angle affects the look.

I think one important feature overlooked so far may be that the
scratches are presumably rough (in all directions, not only in cross
section), while the remainder of the surface is rather smooth; so you'd
either need different finish properties for the scratches (with larger
highlights), or you'd have to somehow add a bit of noise to the scratches.