POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflection of light due to difference in the index of refraction : Re: Reflection of light due to difference in the index of refraction Server Time
18 Apr 2024 01:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflection of light due to difference in the index of refraction
From: clipka
Date: 9 Jan 2019 10:36:23
Message: <5c3614f7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.01.2019 um 09:04 schrieb hjkqed:

> I've been trying to recreate this phenomenon using the source code below, but I
> could not get any sort of reflection. Could anyone please help me why it doesn't
> work? Thank you so much in advance.

You need something to reflect.

This may sound trivial at first, but there's a catch: Light sources
don't show up directly in the image (unless you assign a `looks_like`
object), nor do they show up as reflections via the `reflection`
mechanism (or as refractions, for that matter).

The mechanism by which reflections of light sources are made visible is
via the specular highlights (`specular` and/or `phong`) mechanisms.

To better control the magnitude of specular highlights, I recommend
using the `albedo` keyword to get the same scale as the `reflection`
setting (otherwise the brightness is difficult to control and depends on
the tightness of the highlights, i.e. the `roughness` and/or
`phong_size` parameters). To make them conform to the Fresnel law you
need to specify `fresnel on` right in the `finish` block (as opposed to
the `reflection` block). (Requires POV-Ray v3.8.)

I recommend `specular` (being the more realistic model) with a very low
`roughness` setting.