POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 character set handling : Re: v3.8 character set handling Server Time
16 Apr 2024 10:36:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 character set handling
From: Alain
Date: 4 Jan 2019 13:15:49
Message: <5c2fa2d5$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-01-03 à 14:49, clipka a écrit :
> The internal reworking of the parser will make it necessary to overhaul
> the handling of character sets, in a way that will not be entirely
> compatible with earlier versions. Here are my current plans - comments
> welcome:
>

> (1) The current `global_settings { charset FOO }` mechanism (apparently
> introduced with v3.5) will be disabled.
>
> For backward compatibility it will still be accepted, but produce a
> warning. (Not sure yet if we want the warning for pre-v3.5 scenes,
> and/or an outright error for v3.8 and later scenes.)
maybe only a warning and ignore.

Will it be possible to directly use UTF-8 characters ?
After all, if you can directly enter characters like à é è ô ç (direct
access) or easily like €(altchar+e) ñ(altchar+ç,n) from your keyboard as
I just did, you should be able to use them instead of the cumbersome codes.

Alain