POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Moire patterns when trying to create isosurface of earth using image maps : Re: Moire patterns when trying to create isosurface of earth using image maps Server Time
16 Apr 2024 01:10:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moire patterns when trying to create isosurface of earth using image maps
From: Alain
Date: 2 Jan 2019 12:29:56
Message: <5c2cf514$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-01-02 à 02:18, COMPATT a écrit :
> Even when I use an accuracy of 0.0001 I continue to get moire patterns at the
> "terminator" of my planet when the light rays would be striking at a very low
> angle to the isosurface I am not getting a max gradient error but I am using a
> very high resolution greyscale topographic image map any ideas on how to make
> them go away completely? I am not interested in using a mesh instead I would
> like to do this just using the image map as an isosurface function. Not sure
> what to include in this post to help you help me so please let me know what
> other info will be helpful

Please post a sample image to povray.binaries.images.
You may crop it to specifically show the problem areas.

It may be an antialiasing issue. If that's the case, the followings may
help :

Use antialiasing method 2 : add +am2 to the command line
Reduce the threshold : Add +a0.1 or an even smaller value.
Increase the antialias depth : add +r4 or +r5

Use antialiasing method 3 : +am3 +a0.01 +r5 +ac0.9

Method 3 normally demand a smaller threshold and a higher recursion
level. Here, the threshold control the variance. The +ac parameter is
the accuracy. It works in about the same way as accuracy in a camera
using focal blur.