POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Continental Hub : Re: Continental Hub Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:32:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continental Hub
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Oct 2018 02:52:01
Message: <5bc97f11@news.povray.org>
On 18-10-2018 16:03, green wrote:

> this is exquisite.
>
> critiques first.  there is a boulder below and left of center perched on its
> end.  it looks peculiar.  there is another, closer, below and right of center.
> the boulder at the base of the near tree lower right has a bright band at the
> bottom that looks like sunlight coming thru the rock; surely an honest depiction
> of the geometry but if it were me i would cheat and get rid of it somehow.

I was almost going to say: I did that on purpose ;-)

Especially the boulder hovering over the ground is a glitch in the code.
It has been hammered down into the ground already. The others will be
treated likewise as soon as I have tracked down their location.

>    i do not see a million trees possible in this scene.  perhaps they are
> de-scaled to be the moss on the ground?  or is the one-million purely part of
> the scifi dialog?

A bit of overkill I am afraid, but there are - literally - one million
trees in the visible part of this scene. Most are invisible because the
horizon is far away ;-)

You may have worries about the render time but no. It is true that most
time goes into the plotting of the locations, but those are written away
into a separate file, and used afterwards for the planting proper.
Reading those locations is fast.

>    the boulder at the lower left has a shadow at the top that i mistake for the
> silhouette of a bird.  which reminds me there is no animal life in the picture.
> how would it affect the purpose of the picture if there were?  what if there
> were a mad-max figure in the scene?  a bit much?

In the upcoming version, there will be some animal life (how much is
still a matter of debate with myself) but there is no place for a Mad Max.

> the craggy outcrop in the distant center is something i drool for.  wonderful.

:-)

> the thing that rivets is the space structure.  mesmerizing.  i can not make it
> out however, very mysterious.  it seems to be three structures helixed around
> themselves; but their cross-sections are very unclear.

Correct. Three - structures with an irregular, asymmetric, section - are
helixed.

> somewhat off-topic, but how do the people in the space structure live as far as
> gravity/acceleration?

I have no idea. My contact person there did not tell me. :-)

> thank you for this image, a living presence burned in my brain.

Thank you for your criticism and kind words. Much appreciated indeed.

--
Thomas