POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : tau : Re: tau Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:13:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tau
From: clipka
Date: 14 Sep 2018 12:41:14
Message: <5b9be4aa$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.09.2018 um 08:35 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 14-9-2018 6:32, clipka wrote:
>> Am 14.09.2018 um 00:33 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>>>
>>> I've been hopping between 3.7, and other later versions.
>>
>> You shouldn't be doing that. Use either v3.7.0 (the latest official
>> stable release) or the most recent tagged v3.8.0-alpha (currently
>> v3.8.0-alpha.9811560).
>>
>> Any versions in between are obsolete and no longer supported.
>>

> Ah! Let me get this clear:
>
> - /all/ 3.7.1 versions [introducing Diffuse Models; Tone Mapping; Cached
> Macros] can be dumped?

All v3.7.1-alpha and v3.7.1-beta versions (as well as v3.7.1-rc
versions, should you be able to get hold of one of those) can be dumped.

Cached macros are in the official v3.8.0 dev branch, so no loss there.

Alternative diffuse models, as well as tone mapping, were published as
v3.7.1-x (i.e. experimental) versions; as I said those are a bit of an
exception. But they're indeed getting stale in a way, too, and the most
sensible thing to do about those is not for you to continue to use them,
but for me to update them with all the changes that have been going on
in the main branch since then.

> - I assume that the two versions of uberpov64.exe are still valid. Build
> 2016. If not up-to-date, at least they are valuable for the stochastic
> antialiasing, at least for me.

UberPOV is a completely different animal, as it comes with a mechanism
to identify the specific UberPOV version, from which you can deduce the
POV-Ray feature set available.

Also getting somewhat stale though, and I'm not exactly sure whether I
will continue (well, more like revive) the project. I'm pretty sure I'll
add anti-aliasing mode 3 to official POV-Ray though, as I /think/ it has
left little doubt about its worth.