POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Star field? : Re: Star field? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star field?
From: Alain
Date: 10 Aug 2018 19:34:44
Message: <5b6e2114@news.povray.org>
Le 18-08-10 à 15:17, Kenneth a écrit :
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>
>> This one is okay:
>>
>> http://www.hoboes.com/NetLife/POV_Simple/5/2/
>>

> Interesting; I wasn't aware of this bozo-pattern technique. Thanks.

bozo{colour_map{[0 rgb 2][0.2 rgb 0]}scale 0.006}

Looks like it rely on sub-pixel artifacts, just like the ones from the
distribution that use granite. It's just that it use a different base
pattern.
Just like those from skys.inc, it suffer the from same problem : Any
movement or rotation, of the camera will cause the stars to completely
change.
This make micro-pattern based skys unsuitable for animations.
This apply to granite, bozo(bumps, spotted), agate, crackle, cells, ...
based patterns.
With those, you can have coloured stars.
One possible option is :
bozo{colour_map
   {[0 rgb 2]
    [0.025 rgb<2,0,0>]
    [0.0375 rgb 0]
    [0.05 rgb<0,0,2>]
    [0.075 rgb 2]
    [0.2 rgb 0]}
  scale 0.006
}

The skys from galaxy.inc don't suffer from that problem, but are more
memory intensive, take more time to parse and are somewhat slower to render.

Alain