POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld (continued) : Re: Ringworld (continued) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:01:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld (continued)
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Aug 2018 06:29:48
Message: <5b69749c@news.povray.org>
On 07/08/2018 10:02, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 7-8-2018 10:20, Stephen wrote:

>> He is not the only one who got his maths wrong. Of course I meant
>> closer to the star.
>>

>>> That, or scale down the area_light's effective surface. At this
>>> planetary scale the area effect would be hardly noticeable imo.
>>>

>> A point light gives the same result.
>>

> Right. I would suggest then to test with a point light, following
> Stephen's maths, then try some area_light until it fits.

No, don't follow my maths.

Using the data from this site. I did a quick model.
http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/scifi/ringworld.html
I adjusted the Shadow square ring radius until the day/night cycle
looked equal.(multiplied the radius by 0.587587699)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message