POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : CC-LGPL : Re: CC-LGPL Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:33:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CC-LGPL
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 6 Aug 2018 12:08:53
Message: <5b687295$1@news.povray.org>
Le 06/08/2018 à 09:25, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> A couple of remarks.
>
> 1. The link to CC-LGPL at http://lib.povray.org/contributeobject/ now
> redirects to the GNU page for GNU Lesser General Public License, version
> 2.1. Do we want to update the link?

To what ? the LGPL v3.0 ?

As far as I know, the link is correct.

> 2. Is there a reason we use LGPL version 2.1 instead of 3? Does the
> object collection predate version 3? Do we want to switch to version 3?

Oh yes, it predates LGPL v3.0 (29 June 2007)
LGPL v2.1 is from August 2005
and the site was designed at least before the 22 December 2006, even if
there is trace of getting documented in late September 2007.
(2006 is the date of the CC-LGPL logo for this site)

I have found pictures as old as 14 Aug 2005 (in staircase by chrisb 2.0)

The real life of the website seems to be the 28 September 2007.

Whatever, it would need the direct action of Chris Bartlett to change
the license, as my power does not extend to changing the impacted files.
(the license is in the README.html within the created zip file, that one
I can change, but for the website it is in another page(s) to which I
have no writing access)

Whatever, is there really a difference between 2.1 and 3.0 (excepted
that 3.0 is adding exception to GPL 3.0, whereas LGPL 2.1 is setting the
rights alone) ?