POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offset surface : Re: Offset surface Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:08:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Offset surface
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 19 Jul 2018 21:01:00
Message: <5b51344c$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/19/2018 8:25 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

 > Since it's symmetric around the origin, just scale it.
 > If you need a "2D" part of it, just take a slice out of it.

Not sure what you mean. The offset surface of an ellipsoid is definitely
not another ellipsoid, so simply scaling it won't work.

On 7/19/2018 8:25 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> Also of interest:
>
> http://xahlee.info/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/Parallel_dir/parallel.html

Interesting. I can't read the formula however. It's been too long since
took calculus.

:(

> It's involved with curves, and I just cheated and used trace()   ;)

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3Cweb.592816879146df1fc437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/

Do you have any renders of your efforts that you might share?

Mike