POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Cedeaq's semi-random landscape revisited : Re: Cedeaq's semi-random landscape revisited Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:51:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cedeaq's semi-random landscape revisited
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jun 2018 12:56:02
Message: <5b2e7ba2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.06.2018 um 18:00 schrieb Alain:

>>> Beware that your font path is not for universal use! Users have to
>>> edit your code in order to use it properly. For demonstration
>>> purposes it is better to stick to the standard ttf's provided by
>>> POV-Ray.

> On a normally installed version of POV-Ray, the path to your fonts
> should already be in your input paths.
> That mean that you should not need to have that
> «#local textpath = "/home/Raytracing/Povscn/Fonts/";"»
>
> In fact, under Windows, in the message pane, you can find this :
> Library paths:
> ....[some other paths]...
> C:\Windows\Fonts
>
> Without having that path in any of the ini files.
>
> On a Linux system, or a Mac, you should have something similar.

While on Windows fonts are handled by the operating system itself,
that's not the case on Unixoid systems like Linux or Mac OS X; AFAIK, on
these systems, font management is instead the job of whatever graphical
interface is installed - be it KDE, Gnome, or whatever. The
corresponding path(s) /may/ have been added by the POV-Ray package
manager of whatever distribution you're using, but to my knowledge
there's nothing similar in vanilla "out of the box" POV-Ray for Linux.

Besides, even if POV-Ray for a given platform knows /where/ to find
fonts installed on the system, there's no guarantee that a /particular/
font will be found there. For example, you shouldn't expect "arial.ttf"
to be installed on Unix machines.