POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : qtpovray and debian : Re: qtpovray and debian Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:02:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: qtpovray and debian
From: clipka
Date: 22 Jun 2018 08:48:12
Message: <5b2cf00c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.06.2018 um 13:39 schrieb dick balaska:

> qtpovray_0.1
> qtpovray-extras_0.1
>
> Should I call it 0.1?  3.8?  3.8.0.1?
> qtpovray contains the executable and desktop
> qtpovray-extras contains the glorious insert menu

I'd make sure that it is clear which version of POV-Ray it is based on.
For UberPOV, I'm using the scheme `vX.YZ.N` to denote versions based on
POV-Ray vX.Y.Z.

> Maybe I should call qtpovray-extras just povray-extras?

No, you should definitely not. If it's not official POV-Ray, don't make
it look like it is.

> I want to leverage the existing povray-includes
> which requires a release of package povray-includes_3.8.0.0
> to pick up /usr/share/povray-3.8/includes .
>
> Also, to get the .ini files especially /etc/povray/3.8/povray.conf
> I need package povray_3.8.0.0 and we're not ready for that.

In my naive understanding of Unix package management, I would suggest
for now to release qtpovray as a collection of stand-alone packages, and
later - once an official POV-Ray package is available - update it to
make use of the official POV-Ray packages, modifying part of the
qtpovray packages to do nothing more than pull in the official packages.

> I could release a qmake built package povray_3.8.0.0 with the unix shell
> version (and the /etc/povray/3.8 files I need). But that's not my call
> (or true focus).  One bleh thing about that is the executable is
> /usr/bin/povray , so one can't have 3.7 and 3.8 executables installed at
> the same time, even though the data is already separated by version.

I'd say that's a thing to be addressed by whoever is the maintainer of
the debian POV-Ray package. We're not doing any Unix package
maintenance, we're just providing the source code, Unix build tools, and
a bit of support. If I'm not mistaken, the configure script allows to
specify a different binary name.

If they're smart, the package also has a `/usr/bin/povray-3.7`
hard-linked to the same file (or `/usr/bin/povray` soft-linked to
`/usr/bin/povray-3.7`), so that installing another version "on top" of
it leaves an instance of the old binary available.

> [1] Ubuntu 18 has povray_3.7.0.4 , but I'm mostly working on Ubuntu 16
> which is povray_3.7.0.0

There's little difference there; POV-Ray v3.7.0.4 is just v3.7.0 updated
to work with the compiler and 3rd party libraries that ship with Ubuntu 18.