POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Restructured Parser wants Testing : Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Restructured Parser wants Testing
From: Stephen
Date: 23 May 2018 12:53:40
Message: <5b059c94@news.povray.org>
On 23/05/2018 16:26, clipka wrote:

>>> Care to do some name calling?
>>>

>> Pal / Best friend. ;-)
>
> Not exactly what I meant - I was rather trying to coax you into posting
> the name of the modeller, thereby calling it broken ;)

Name and shame, then. No problem to me but you worked it out. Bishop3D

BTW As I keep saying to my wife, I don't do hints. You have to spell it
out. Although not like her, in Morse code with a rubber mallet. ;)

3 dot, 2 dot 4 dot dash. ;)

>>> Technically, those modellers would have to be considered broken:
>>
>> That seems fair enough.
>>
>>> To the
>>> best of my knowledge, single backslashes as filename separators have
>>> never been an officially supported feature.
>>>
>> By PovRay for Windows and/or for DOS?
>
> Technically, that statement was true for all of them: I know precious
> little about POV-Ray for DOS, so to the best of my knowledge... ;)
>

> But I have to revert that statement now, having dug up an older
> documentation:
>
> In POV-Ray 3.0, according to those docs, backslashes in string literals
> was only supposed to take on a special role when followed by a
> double-quote, in which case the backslash would be discarded while the
> double-quote would be interpreted as a character rather than the end of
> the string. Interpretation of other escape sequences was considered not
> a feature of string literals, but rather of user message stream output
> (`#debug` and its kin).

There is a lot of history floating around. :)

>> Significance is relevant. I have no idea how many people use B3D. And I
>> can't remember if Blender outputs the directory separator as a "\" or
>> "/". (I have stopped using it until some of the bug reports I have
>> submitted, have been fixed.)
>
> Yeah, I guess B3D qualifies as relevant indeed.

Very pleased to hear it. :D

>> It is possible to get B3D to export bespoke code. So we could set a flag
>> telling the parser that the directory separator was "\".
>> e.g. windoze_separator = true
>> If that would help cut down the complexity.
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean. Would you change B3D, or would you
> change POV-Ray?
>
> When it comes to ideal format in POV-Ray scenes, it is highly
> recommended to always use "/" as path separator. Works on all platforms,
> 'Doze incldued.

But not with MS-DOS 1.0. It didn’t support directories at all. The
forward slash was used as a switch.

https://www.howtogeek.com/181774/why-windows-uses-backslashes-and-everything-else-uses-forward-slashes/

>> Which reminds me. I use that facility to overwrite the version number
>> B3D exports by declaring it after the first one. Will that workaround
>> still work?
>
> Uh... please elaborate. How would the resulting scene file look like?

#version 3.6;

//------- Scene Raw Script Begin -------
#version 3.7 ;
//------- Scene Raw Script End ---------