POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling atmospheric refraction : Re: Modelling atmospheric refraction Server Time
24 Apr 2024 10:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling atmospheric refraction
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 May 2018 07:24:45
Message: <5af971fd@news.povray.org>
On 05/14/2018 12:59 AM, Glenn W wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to model atmospheric refraction on a globe. My first attempt at this
> was to have a sphere centred at the origin representing the earth surface, and
> then several concentric spheres that represent the different densities (and
> therefore different refractive indices) of air as you gain in altitude:

I'm not aware of anyone having modeled this effect in POV-Ray. Some
thinking aloud - and without morning coffee as yet...

When your camera is inside an object you want to use the keyword
'hollow' or 'hollow on'. When a ray starts, the containing interior is
associated by where the ray origin sits. I'm not sure what happens when
there are multiple initial surrounding interiors. Which does it pick...
Is the ordering stable...

My understanding is when a ray leaves a surface it drops an interior and
moves to the previous enclosing interior as determined when it
encountered starting surfaces / interiors - or it drops back to no
interior. So maybe shells, but always 'above' the camera with the most
dense shell the most inside? Top surfaces mattering geometrically and
the bottom surfaces compressed..?

Others here know atmosphere better than me, but atmospheric refraction
is a continuous effect as the density increases toward the surface so
the real light path will be a curve. If you want to demonstrate that
curvature somewhat precisely your probably out of luck - too many
surfaces(1) to approximate anything appearing continuous. If all you
want is to demonstrate the visual offset for some point(s) at a distance
from some set altitude perhaps a single containing sphere with some
mathematical adjustments for an effective delta-IOR is enough?

It might be for near-ish objects like a mountain range in the distance
you'll not have the accuracy in POV-Ray you need at realistic IORs to be
able to 'see' the effect.

Expect near-ish atmospheric effects would be dominated by heat /
convection currents, particles, humidity etc more than atmospheric
density.

Bill P.

(1) - Perhaps there is some way to distort the surface of the containing
objects(s) in a way which would equivalently and continuously model the
effect?