POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inquiry: What Surface Finishes for Wood do You Recommend? : Re: Inquiry: What Surface Finishes for Wood do You Recommend? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:35:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inquiry: What Surface Finishes for Wood do You Recommend?
From: Alain
Date: 11 Apr 2018 15:16:47
Message: <5ace5f1f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-04-11 à 10:56, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Hi experienced POV-Ray users,
>
> my steamboat is made of lumber. I wonder, what surface finishes you
> would usually use for wooden planks. Those are deck planks, but also the
> planks on the sides of the superstructures on the decks. Online I saw
> some really nice examples, some even going as far as using
> specular_maps, I was reading in the photo description.
>
> Based on your own experiences, what finishes or even normals, would you use?
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Normally, the deck planks are well polished wood with some protective
layer, usually wax in this time frame, and some kind of varnish later on.
Most of the other surfaces are painted. Those that are unpainted are
polished and waxed.

If new or near new, the deck should have a slight normal perturbation
that match the grain of the wood, have an ior set to that of wax (1.2 to
1.4) and use finish level fresnel and fresnel reflection.
If older, average the above with some micronormals perturbation.

For the painted surfaces, the wood grain should still affect the normals
to some degree. The paint do have some fresnel reflectivity. Don't
forget to set the ior for that paint.