POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : No Bug But A Suggestion : Re: No Bug But A Suggestion Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:10:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No Bug But A Suggestion
From: clipka
Date: 31 Mar 2018 14:52:03
Message: <5abfd8d3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.03.2018 um 09:28 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> I am using the photo feature now. I recognize, while knowing the initial
> creation of the photon map is slow, I still wished there would be some
> sort of progress statement, like with the rendering - a percentual or
> any update. just to see it goes on. That would work well with the user's
> psychology.
>
> Right now, the scene runs for 2 hours, and I still don't know if
> everything is okay and there is a progress, or if I did something wrong
> and the photon-mapping will never finish. All I see is
> "Photon count ()".
>
> And this would be my suggestion: to add some sort of progress info to
> the POV-Ray status bar.

POV-Ray already does exactly that: During photon shooting, the status
bar shows the number of photons shot so far. Updates are shown every 100
photons shot, but at most once a second.

If you don't see photon information in the status bar, either your
photon shooting phase is pathologically fast in its entirety, or
pathologically slow on a per-photon basis.