POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : INQUIRY: Wooden Planks Texture : Re: INQUIRY: Wooden Planks Texture Server Time
18 Apr 2024 08:05:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INQUIRY: Wooden Planks Texture
From: Alain
Date: 31 Mar 2018 11:48:41
Message: <5abfadd9@news.povray.org>
Le 18-03-30 à 19:43, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> for my upcoming 1850s Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamboat I have
> questions about a number of features that I never needed that way
> before. Here is my next inquiry.
>
> Many parts of the steamboats were constructed using wooden planks (each
> 40cm = wide). I know I can create the separations between the planks by
> using a NORMAL that creates deepened straight lines. No problem here.
> But I also want to have a lumber texture for each plank, and it cannot
> be a continuous grain texture. Each plank needs to have its own grain
> that does not continue with the neighboring planks. And that is my
> question: how to achieve that if I try to avoid using IMAGE_MAPs?
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Use warp with the repeat option.
You can add some variations using the offset and flip variations.
offset shift the pattern by some amount in some direction.
If you repeat along the X axis, you can have an offset along the Y, Z
and X axis. The 3 can have different amplitudes.

The flip option allow you to mirror the pattern along an axis.
You can flip the 3 axis using different periods.

Combining flip and offset, you can make sure that no two planks are
identical, and always different from it's neibours.

Alain