POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How would you design an involute gear tooth : Re: How would you design an involute gear tooth Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:44:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How would you design an involute gear tooth
From: Alain
Date: 28 Mar 2018 19:12:20
Message: <5abc2154$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-03-27 à 18:33, KEBman a écrit :
> How would you go about designing a involute gear tooth? Is it possible using
> CSG? Or perhaps is it better to use SOR or even lathe? I'm not convinced a
> Superquadric Ellipsoid would be good, as I'm concerned that it won't be
> accurate. However I'm intrigued by the isosurface, given that I could somehow
> feed it the function for an involute surface, say an extrusion of a 2D line
> based on the base circle diametre.
>
> Hoping for some constructive feedback. :)

The lathe object is not suitable for that purpose.
The sor object allow more freedom in the shape. It can make torus-like
shapes.
BOTH can't have wavy surfaces along a given circumference. They are
shapes that are rotated smoothly around an axis.
So, while the sor can be used to make the body of your gear, it just
can't model the teeth of the gear.

You are correct about the isosurface : IF you can come out with some
function for your gear, it will make the ideal gear. It problem is
devising that function.