POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : some question about windows cmd : Re: some question about windows cmd Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:34:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some question about windows cmd
From: clipka
Date: 22 Mar 2018 07:11:28
Message: <5ab38f60$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.03.2018 um 09:33 schrieb Stephen:
> On 20/03/2018 23:42, Alain wrote:
>>> I ran into the same problem myself, last week.
>>> It was from using machine generated code that I was rendering
>>> manually from a different directory than where it was created.
>>>

>> When using those machine generated scenes, check if it contains any
>> hard coded paths and other full files paths.
>> Those are totally non-portable, even within a single machine.
>
> For once I cannot agree with you, Alain.
> If I am using image_maps or df3s and don't use the full file paths. I
> would gave to copy the images or df3s into the current directory. In the
> past when I did not use the full file paths. I ended up with multiple
> copies of the same file in scores of locations. Considering the number
> of image maps Poser can use. It is a waste of space and be confusing.

A smart approach to this might be to use variables for the file name,
and place them at the top of the scene file (or even in the INI file).
That way you can quickly see whether the scene uses files from a
location other than the scene directory (and you can quickly change it
if necessary, without having to sift through the entire scene file and
possibly a couple of include files).