POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Upcoming major hardware upgrade - what to choose for POVing? : Re: Upcoming major hardware upgrade - what to choose for POVing? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 03:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upcoming major hardware upgrade - what to choose for POVing?
From: Alain
Date: 8 Mar 2018 16:04:42
Message: <5aa1a56a@news.povray.org>
Le 18-03-08 à 15:18, Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann a écrit :
> Hi(gh)!
>
> With an ageing AMD FX-6200 hexa-core crashing every few hours, I'm
> contemplating a major hardware upgrade! Possibly, the crashes result
> just from a power supply too weak (450 watts) for my recently installed
> new graphics adapter (Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti), then the issue could
> be fixed for less than 100 euros. If mainboard and/or CPU are wrecked,
> it might be somewhat more expensive (an AM3+ socket mainboard plus a
> slightly faster hexacore CPU - an AMD FX-6350 clocking at 3.9 GHz would
> be about 180 euros, with the flawlessly working DDR4-1333 RAM bars still
> being usable). However, as my loved one is ready to spend even more
> money for my computer upgrade, I really would like to how to get the
> highest POV-Ray performance per euro and/or per watt of power
> consumption... are there any reliable benchmark lists for current CPUs?
>
> I've seen those Intel 2600s socket board capable of managing up to 128
> GiB of RAM (which would give Khyberspace and POVEarth a serious
> boost!)...and matching 18-core high end CPUs (which probably would be
> too expensive even for Micha), and running such a beast would really be
> tempting... but how fast are they really?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

A 450w PSU looks like a little weak for a modern computer. If the PSU is
under rated, it's currents and voltages become erratic, leading to
crashes. Try something in the 600-750w range.
A rule of thumb is that the PSU should be rated to about twice the
actual power consumption of the computer for optimum effecienci and
stability.

If you go the way of a totally new computer, then, for POV-Ray, you have
those considerations :
Video card : NOT important at all -> Take some entry level offering.
CPU : It does all the work. Aim high ! Larger instructions cache is a plus.
RAM : As much as you can afford. If possible, choose the lowest latency
that you can find. Long burst length is normally not a factor as most
access if for relatively small, randomly located, data chunks.
Drives : SSDs will make you save on the electric bil side, but cost
more. HDs are beter to store huge amounts of data that don't need to be
accessed very quickly, like most media files, but they consume more
electricity.
Monitor : Need a good quality one.
PSU : Need to be over rated to ensure stability.
Don't forget a good cooling.

Alain