POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : sphere_sweep artefact image : Re: sphere_sweep artefact image Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:00:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep artefact image
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Mar 2018 10:00:33
Message: <5a9ffe91$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/03/2018 13:51, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 03/07/2018 08:23 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>
>> I’ve run into a problem using a large sphere_sweep. I get a
>> horizontal, straight line artefact.
>> You can change the location of the artefact by raising or lowering
>> either the camera location or look_at vector.
>> Happens in both ver 3.6 and 3.7
>> I posted the pov and ini files in povray.binaries.scene-files
>>

> Thanks for posting the scene and ini file. It looks like this is one of
> the sphere_sweep artifacts Christoph fixed in the updates for
> release/v3.8.0 and so too in the master (v3.8.1) branch.

Thanks for the quick reply, Bill. I am pleased that it might be a known
artefact. It looks like the artefact we used to get with SORs when the
view crossed the horizon.
I'll wait until

> Aside: this is the sort of artifact I've sometimes been able to
> ameliorate by using an odd number of pixels in a direction perpendicular
> to the artifact - trick works better at low resolutions. In this case an
> odd number of pixels vertically just changes to 3.7.0 artifact some...

Maybe I should have said I was using ver 3.7.0. (I've yet to update my
machine since I had a HDD crash.)

Aside 1
An odd number of pixels doesn't go well with some video codecs.

Aside 2
I was just interested in the 3d shape of the Hilbert curve.
When Maurice and his Blender team fix the Pov file importer. I will
upload an obj file, if anyone is interested. Or if anyone is still using
Bishop3D, a *.bsp one . I managed to import it into that. Oops! that's
the exported file I uploaded but B3D and import it.
It is much easer for me to inspect it with an OpenGl display.

--

Regards
     Stephen