POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : crand is not thread safe in any >=3.7 version. Do we care? : Re: crand is not thread safe in any >=3.7 version. Do we care? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crand is not thread safe in any >=3.7 version. Do we care?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Mar 2018 08:23:58
Message: <5a9fe7ee$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/06/2018 06:44 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> While continuing to play with media and fog, I stumbled across the fact
> the crand mechanism is not thread safe in a render block, blotchy way.
>
> Do we care enough about this feature to open up a github issue?
>
> It's not on my list of used features. However, it's used in our mist.pov
> sample scene, for example, which forces +wt1 when the scene is included
> in any image comparison testing.
>
> Updating our sample scenes (7 by my count) to not use crand OK with me
> too, but ?
>
> Bill P.

No opinions eh? ;-)

Took a few minutes to search back through the newsgroups and it looks
like this feature was out of 3.7 development for a time and then
restored with some asking for it in 3.7.

When I get a moment I'll either open up a github issue or a pull request
if a quick look at the code shows an easy fix like c++11's thread_local.

Bill P.