POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render Statistics : Re: Render Statistics Server Time
20 Apr 2024 00:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Statistics
From: Alain
Date: 22 Feb 2018 16:58:16
Message: <5a8f3cf8@news.povray.org>
Le 18-02-22 à 07:45, Stephen a écrit :
> I know it is a bit late in the day to ask. But I never got round to it.
>
> I understand Max Level: but not the relevance of Smpls/Pxl:
>
> Ray—>Shape Intersection and Shadow Ray Tests:
>
> What if anything, are they telling me?
>
> I have a mesh that when rendered using Blender's Pov exporter. Renders
> so much slower than when rendered using PoseRay. I cut it down a bit and
> the Max Level: was 1/5. So that shot down one theory. :-(

Max level 1/5 mean that no ray got reflected not refracted.

Smpls/Pxl is a ratio that inform you about how much over-sampling was
done during the render.
If it's close to 1, then, most pixel needed only a single sample to get
the final result. If it's somehing like 10 or more, that mean that, on
average, at least 10 subsamples where needed to compute every pixel of
the image. This don't take into acount partial reflection or chromatic
dispersion associated with refraction.
A large value may indicate that your antialiasing is to agressive,
probably from a threshold that is to low or set to zero. If you use
focal blur, then, that value can only be somewhere between the minimum
blur samples and the maximum, and can get pushed higher if also using
antialiasing or blured reflection, that you set in the camera.