POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : media_attenuation of a light source -- animation tests : Re: media_attenuation of a light source -- animation tests Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:01:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media_attenuation of a light source -- animation tests
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 16 Feb 2018 08:53:58
Message: <5a86e276$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/16/2018 01:49 AM, Kenneth wrote:
> This is a seven-part animation(!), to test media_attenuation of a light. This is
> the current POV-Ray behavior  (as of 3.7.1 beta 9, anyway; I haven't tested any
> 3.8 version.) See William Pokorny's separate thread about this topic...

Thanks for the detail and code. I'll come back to it, but I have other
active threads too - under which I'm already buried! Your results are
mostly in line with my tentative understanding and yep, the media run
times are certainly a factor for me too on my little two core i3.

In trying to verify the media attenuation apart from the scattering I
set up a simpler scene with with two renders - light in at top, light
out at bottom. The attached image shows the difference at bottom. As I'd
expect the media_attenuation is getting applied only in the band where
the media is lit in the second and not to the background. In other words
attenuation looks to me to be working - when it's on - at least to a
first order.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: