POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Corrections to documented media defaults. : Re: Corrections to documented media defaults. Server Time
16 Apr 2024 07:05:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Corrections to documented media defaults.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 16 Feb 2018 07:56:02
Message: <5a86d4e2$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/15/2018 07:36 PM, Alain wrote:
> Le 18-02-15 à 13:30, William F Pokorny a écrit :
>> On the page:
>>
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Media#Index_Entry_media_types
>>
>> samples      : Min 1, Max 1
>>
>> should be:
>>
>> samples      : Min 10, Max 10
>>
>> given we otherwise have the >=3.5 method 3 defaults documented.
>>
>> Bill P.
>
> It should be "samples 10"
> min and max are only used with method 1 and 2.

Understand what you are saying, but here we are documenting what POV-Ray
is setting as the default if the language level seen by the parser is >=
3.5. This override happens on seeing the media keyword. A user can, for
example, still specify method 2 in that media and then knowing that
default max value is 10 matters.

Aside: I'm with you in not understanding why the parser sets the max
value for language level >= 3.5 for method 3, but it does. If it didn't
we'd need to leave Max 1 for the same reason - it helps users understand
what defaults are when those defaults apply to the method they are using.

Bill P.