POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : A Bit of Chess : Re: A Bit of Chess Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:53:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Bit of Chess
From: dick balaska
Date: 14 Feb 2018 14:21:06
Message: <5a848c22$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/14/2018 01:33 PM, greytery wrote:
> dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>> On 02/14/2018 12:16 PM, greytery wrote:
>>
> Corners chosen because I wanted a longer spread, but I take your point.

That makes sense.

>> Heh. Nice node names. How many boxes are in the farm?
> 10 (3 i7, 5 i5, 2 Ryzen 1700 - all SSD and 8-16GB RAM).

Well I'm jealous of *that*. I have (1) i7 and (3) i5.
(Recently swapped an i5 and a Celeron for a new i5. More throughput,
less node count).  My max node count was 8, but the family now all uses
iPads and slow laptops that hibernate when you close the lid.

>>    The home-brew render job management is a bit of Python using
>>> UDP(!!) over the gigabit LAN.
>>
>> UDP huh? That's an interesting choice.
>>
> Been writing comms code off & on since 1973. Back then it was teletypes,
> dial-up. Went through the early internet thing, and was involved in maybe 7
> TCP/IP subsystems. Our designs then used to fake the wiring between Host and
> User by drawing a {{cloud}}.  Have bought and sold international - and even
> orbital - networking solutions as a consultant .... so when I retired and sat
> down at home and checked out the best solution for a bunch of PCs connected to
> the same  gigabit switch - who needs a cloud?  UDP is reliable enough.

Yeah, it's reliable enough but ... I guess you're using some python
library to assemble the small packets into a big message (like the
returned image).
I did an early innernet video game. UDP is great until it breaks. Error
tracing is difficult. (I always thought it was me until my TiVo also
gave me the same useless "No route to host" message. It's the same lan,
you stupid box.)

--
dik
Rendered 920576 of 921600 pixels (99%)