POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Subsurface scattering : Re: Subsurface scattering Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:04:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface scattering
From: clipka
Date: 5 Feb 2018 12:18:13
Message: <5a7891d5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.02.2018 um 03:10 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 2/4/2018 3:03 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 04/02/2018 06:59, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> Does POV have this feature yet, or is it still just an Uberpov thing?
>>>

>> Yes in Ver 3.7
>>

> Does anyone know what appropriate values might be for LEGO (Ldraw) models?
>
> Here are the mm and ldu units:
>
> http://www.brickwiki.info/wiki/LDraw_unit

According to that table, and presuming that POV-Ray export of LDraw
models uses 1 LDU = 1 unit in POV-Ray, you should use

    global_settings {
      mm_per_unit 0.4
    }

and either of:

    // opaque (ABS, acrylnitrile butadien styrene)
    interior { ior 1.6 }

    // transparent (Makrolon(R), a polycarbonate)
    interior { ior 1.585 dispersion 1.02 }

    // axles (polyamide, maybe Nylon)
    interior { ior 1.53 }

(The `ior.inc` in the master branch contains values for ABS and PC,
named `iorABS`, `iorPC` and `dispPC`, respectively, but not for PC yet;
it also needs a POV-Ray version newer than v3.7.0.)

As for the subsurface translucency values, you'll have to tinker. I know
of no measured values, and the properties may differ from colour to colour.