POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory usage : Re: Memory usage Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:52:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory usage
From: clipka
Date: 1 Feb 2018 06:49:08
Message: <5a72feb4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.02.2018 um 00:37 schrieb Alain:
> Le 18-01-30 à 14:46, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> There are several programs that convert LDraw models to POV-Ray. I'm
>> wondering if there are differences in memory usage between the various
>> types of output. How would I measure the memory usage? Would it be
>> better to measure peak usage? Average usage over time? Thanks.
>>

>> Mike
>
> They all convert to mesh/mesh2 from the same data.
> The only difference would be if you perform any subdivision step prior
> to the conversion itself.

Some programs can make use of the LGEO parts library; in that case the
result is CSG for any part that is in the library.

For small models, or models that use a gazillion of different parts,
that may be more memory-efficient. Haven't tested it though. The main
advantage of the LGEO parts library is that it is more precise.