POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light Source Issue : Re: Light Source Issue Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:58:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Source Issue
From: Alain
Date: 10 Jan 2018 16:29:40
Message: <5a5685c4@news.povray.org>
Le 18-01-10 à 05:49, Motive17 a écrit :
> Good morning to all,
>
> I'm focusing on a quite strange issue.
>
> I have simply defined this light source:
>
>      light_source {
>                   <0,500,-1000>
>                   color rgb <255, 255, 255>
>                   fade_distance 1
>                   fade_power 0 //??????
>                   media_interaction off
>                   media_attenuation off
>                       }
>
> The strange issue is relative to the behaviour of the light reflected by the
> cylinder. It seems to increase when I increase the distance between object and
> light source. Why? There is any light attenuation defined.
>
> Anyone have an idea about that?
>
> Thank you
>
> Best regards

You use fade_power 0. That mean that the light don't fade at all. It
similar to the case where you have a large light source relative to the
distance. By large, I mean about 100 to 1 ratio between the length of a
side of the light relative to the distance.

If you use fade_power 1, you get light fading as a direct factor of the
distance : Double the distance = half of the illumination. Works in a 2D
world. Also a good approximation of a linear light source, where the
length of the light is at least 100 times the distance to the
illuminated object.

If you use fade_power 2, you get real world fading. At twice the
distance, the illumination drop by a factor of 4.

Always use fade_power 2 to get realistic light fading.