POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality. : Re: BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:52:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality.
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jan 2018 11:57:18
Message: <5a53a2ee@news.povray.org>
Am 08.01.2018 um 09:05 schrieb Kenneth:

>> Where the filename has no recognizable extension and BITMAP_TYPE |
>> HF_TYPE has not been specified, POV-Ray will try and read the "filename"
>> as whatever the current output image format is. Only the image_map
>> documentation mentions this latter behavior.
>
> The only problem I could imagine is if two files have the same name but
> different file extensions.

No, POV-Ray would actually try to load a file of the name /without/ any
file extensions.

On Windows, files virtually always have a file extension, even though
the Windows Explorer is trying to hide them from the user by default.

Windows makes no attempt to hide those file extensions from /programs/
though; to the contrary, a program trying to opening a file by name
/must/ specify the extension.

When you specify a filename without extension in POV-Ray, the program
does this by guessing the extension, based on the file type keyword.

If the file type keyword isn't specified either, POV-Ray is lost, and
can only guess that the user might intend to load a file that has no
extension at all.