POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality. : BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality. Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  BITMAP_TYPE and HF_TYPE documentation versus functionality.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Jan 2018 12:38:49
Message: <5a525b29$1@news.povray.org>
The BITMAP_TYPE nomenclature is used for bump_map, image_map,
image_pattern and material_map. HF_TYPE is used for height_fields. Over
time I think the documentation has gotten somewhat scrambled with
respect to current functionality.

bump_map:
   http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Bump_Map

height_field:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Height_Field

image_pattern:
   http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Image_Pattern

image_map:
   http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Image_Map

material_map:
   http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Patterned_Textures#Material_Maps

We sometimes mark BITMAP_TYPE | HF_TYPE as optional when I believe from
3.7 onward it is everywhere optional.  When specified, this is the file
type POV-Ray will try and read no matter the filename given or the
output file type.

Our docs often specify the filename as "bitmap.ext" or "bitmap[.ext]"
except for height_fields where it is "filename".  I think "filename" is
best because that string needs to be the filename POV-Ray looks to read
no matter format.

If the user has not specified an explicit BITMAP_TYPE | HF_TYPE, POV-Ray
will first look for any known extension in the "filename" string.  If
found, that extension is the image format POV-Ray will try and read.

Where the filename has no recognizable extension and BITMAP_TYPE |
HF_TYPE has not been specified, POV-Ray will try and read the "filename"
as whatever the current output image format is. Only the image_map
documentation mentions this latter behavior.

There is too in some documentation - material_map for example - this note:

"Note: Earlier versions of POV-Ray allowed some modifiers before the
BITMAP_TYPE but that syntax is being phased out in favor of the syntax
described here."

which probably we can drop. At least for the modifiers I tried before
BITMAP_TYPE, I got parser errors in 3.7 and 3.8.

Bill P.